Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Love & War and All Things Between


On Places to Visit in DC:

I stumbled into this delightful coffee house one foggy, raining evening and was immediately charmed by it. The inside was so warm and cozy and I would have stopped for a coffee or one of the delicious looking pastries but I already had plans and was way behind schedule by that point. I was heading to a Josh Garrels concert over on Barracks Row (well named for the location of the Navy barracks) right across from the watch towers.

Despite being 45 minutes late, the venue was intimate enough so that we were able to see him quite clearly even with only leftover balcony seats to choose from. I was also able to meet him and get my new album signed:
The film that accompanied the concert was incredible- beautiful camera shots and a nice flow. One of my favorite moments was when they were playing on the beach and you could see the waves rolling over the base of the music stands. It definitely felt as if the music belonged to nature, like the forest and the sand and fields were not just the setting but the medium for the sound. I was also impressed by how well Josh could express himself, not just in his lyrics but in his interviews.

The music itself definitely lies mostly in the folk category with a heavy Christian influence. I'm finding myself drawn to this type of music more and more and I'm even surprised by how popular folk rock music is becoming (just take a look at Mumford and Sons and Of Monsters and Men). I also just bought an EP CD by a band called Monsters Calling Home. They do a beautiful, heart-wrenching cover of Mr. Brightside.

I also love the artwork on the cover of my new Josh Garrels CD. I'm a huge fan of doodling (and nautical themes) and I usually end up expressing it by doodling on the CDs I burn:


Psh, who needs label printers? 




No comments:

Post a Comment