Monday, July 8, 2013

Shameless Fangirling

My exposure to film classes in college meant that I was exposed to a lot of actors from years gone by. But movies have preserved their good looks and charm and so time has not stopped me from fangirling over some of these guys even though, sadly, many of them have passed away or are in their twilight years. This post is a kind of tribute to some of my favorite actors from another generation. I know these guys must have broken some hearts.

Paul Newman
(1925-2008)

Known For:

  • Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  • Cool Hand Luke
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • The Sting


Paul Newman in 1964



People always talked about his eyes and for good reason. Paul Newman had the most intense baby blues I've ever seen and he definitely caught my attention in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Cary Grant
(1904-1986)

Known For:

  • His Girl Friday
  •  Notorious
  •  North by Northwest
  •  To Catch a Thief
  •  Charade






















Now, I don't find Cary Grant attractive per se, but he is the epitome of manliness by Hollywood standards. He's got a certain charm that commands your attention when he's on screen. He's sharp, spry (he WAS a former acrobat), and clever in his films. And the ladies always fall hard. He was paired up with film stars like Audrey Hepburn, Eva Marie Saint, Ingrid Bergman, and Grace Kelly. It must have something to do with that cleft chin...

Clint Eastwood
(1930-Present)

Known For (earlier films):

  • Rawhide
  • A Fistful of Dollars
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly





Not much to say on this one other than I love his older films like Gran Torino and I was shocked to see what he looked like in his younger years. I definitely have some catching up to do on Clint Eastwood's early films, especially classics like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Laurence Olivier
(1907-1989)

Known For:

  • Rebecca
  • Spartacus
  • Lots of Shakespeare stuff 






I first saw Laurence Oliver in Rebecca (a Hitchcock film) and was blown away by his performance. But Spartacus is still on my to-watch list.

Jimmy (James) Stewart
(1908-1997)

Known For:

  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Vertigo
  • Rear Window





Now Jimmy Stewart isn't exactly dreamy but he gave such great performances in Vertigo and Rear Window that I couldn't very well leave him out. He's a great actor and did justice to both Hitchcock films. Next stop is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
Anthony Perkins
(1932-1992)

Known For:

  • Psycho







As if anyone doesn't remember his chilling role as Norman Bates in Psycho. What amazes me is how he can be both attractive and terrifying at the same time. For Perkins, Psycho was a big step in his acting career and it definitely showed that he was capable of some fantastic acting. Originally, they were hesitant to cast him as a crazy lady killer since he had always been in roles which played off his looks and boyish charm and they didn't want to tarnish that public image. But he had no trouble transitioning into the character of Norman Bates, especially with Hitchcock's guidance - the disturbing difference between the top and bottom picture proves that.

Martin Sheen
(1940-Present)

Known For (earlier films):

  • Apocalypse Now
  • Badlands






Confession - for the longest time I thought Charlie Sheen and Martin Sheen were the same person. And I was thinking, damn, this guy never ages. But lo, I'm actually thinking of Martin who is most well known in his early years for his performance in Apocalypse Now, one of my favorite movies (funny enough, it has Marlon Brando in it as well). The deal was sealed when I saw him later in Badlands by recommendation of my screenwriting professor.

Charlie Chaplin
(1889-1977)

Known For:

  • City Lights
  • The Gold Rush
  • The Great Dictator 






I've only seen clips of his films (mainly The Goldrush and City Lights). But what shocked me was what this guy looked like underneath his acting persona. He was a handsome fellow and he was QUITE popular with the ladies.

Dick van Dyke
(1925-Present)
Known For:

  • The Dick Van Dyke Show
  • Mary Poppins 
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang





I first saw him in Mary Poppins when I was very small so Dick Van Dyke didn't actually appear on my radar until I was older and watched an episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show. His charm and his hilarious antics really captured my heart. While you wouldn't call him "hot" he's got a certain boyish mischief about him that makes him endearing and so entertaining to watch.


And finally, saving the best for last.....

Marlon Brando
(1924-2004)

 Known for:

  • A Streetcar Name Desire
  • The Wild One
  • On the Waterfront 
  • And later, The Godfather















Insanely attractive, non? This was part of his first screen test.



He always played an excellent bad boy- his characters were rough, almost brutish but surprisingly vulnerable at times and he just oozed this sexual charisma. This man was made for the big screen. I'm just sad I've seen all his movies.... although I do regret watching Last Tango in Paris.

Me:
image

And now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment