Saturday, July 27, 2013

2 hours and 1 iced latte later....


This would all be so much better if I spaced out my adventures and life updates between blog posts (I just might do that) but I suppose this can just be a recap of the past few months or so.

So where have I been?

May:
So the great thing about cities is that they're always full of surprises. You never know what you'll find just by walking around the city. When I'm on my own I tend to stick with what I know and usually I'm on a mission, either shopping or meeting up with friends. But I spent a few weekends wandering around the capital with some friends and they were the ones to convince me to stop inside the Portrait Gallery. I probably never would have gone inside on my own. Forgive me for being an uncultured butt, but the Portrait Gallery? You're basically signing up for pompous renditions of men with wigs and ridiculous facial hair. Also, my knowledge of American history is pretty pitiful.


Dat mustache.

This man taught me the word mutton chops.
Well, I was wrong. Because instead I got REAL men with absurd facial hair.

There's a great courtyard area in the center of the museum which gives you that outdoor feel but it's actually just a huge indoor area with skylights and trees (new favorite study spot? If only I still had schoolwork). But they had apparently decided that area was also a great spot for some old-timey dancing. I know there's a name for this type of thing but you'll have to forgive me because it's slipping my mind...

OH, WHAT A MARVELOUS BALL, MR. DARCY.

Psh, clubbing is too mainstream.

And yes. I danced with them. All the gentlemen look so proper but the truth is they're all flirtatious old men which made the entire thing hilarious. Don't be fooled by their suit tails and cummerbunds. 

June:


Occasionally I get in touch with my heritage and I'm called to the yearly Greek festival by the promise of souvlaki and loukoumades.

Now, I was not a fat child. But as a little girl I would eat loukoumades like a portly french kid eats macaroons (I stole that phrase, I'm not original okay?). There were simply not enough fried sweet dough pieces to satisfy me. 

And just so you understand the full experience, this is what you would usually see walking up to the loukoumades booth:

These overbearing Greek women want to feed you until you explode.

Well, I'm older now but since loukoumades only come into season once a year I have no problem getting seconds. Or thirds. 

After successfully giving myself type II diabetes, I then ventured into the church. The wonderful thing about the Greek Orthodox tradition is how much detail we put into our churches. They're truly works of art:




There's always the smell of incense too which makes me feel oddly at home.... and hungry for more Greek food... 

The bad thing about showing up on the last day of the festival is that everyone has already gone through all the pastries and you're stuck with the leftovers.

UNACCEPTABLE
 Okay trivia time.

 


What do these movies have in common?





Why, only JOHN WILLIAMS of course.

I had the great pleasure of seeing him conduct the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra  and it was absolutely breathtaking. The playlist for night includes pieces from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Strange Encounters of the Third Kind and one of the openings from the Olympics. The poor guy is probably 80 years old and we applauded him back out on stage for 4 encores. I feel so lucky to have seen him perform and of course I have to give credit to the BSO who did a beautiful job playing all of Williams' pieces.

The Meyerhoff Theater

Best Thai Food on the East Coast?

I may have just found it at this restaurant called X-ing 

First off, this place is pretty tiny so you're going to need reservations at least a few days in advance. You honestly feel like you're in some strange antique store because nothing matches. You've got an eclectic collection of chairs and tables and odd knickknacks everywhere. 

Wait, is this restaurant or a house?
 Also, there is no menu. You're basically going to get whatever is they've cooked for you that night. But I can promise you that you're going to love it.


What am I eating? DON'T CARE.
In fact, we ended up with 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and dessert which was PLENTY for 3 people. I cannot stress just how amazing the pumpkin curry was. So if you're feeling adventurous definitely try this place. It's also BYOB so bring along a bottle of your favorite wine!

July 4th Weekend:

I may have mentioned this before but I have a close friend in DC who also has a blog (http://confidenceiskeyblog.blogspot.com/) and for the holiday weekend I got to spend time with her and her family in eastern MD. This post is getting exhausting so here's a recap of that trip in pictures:

FIREWORKS

CATS


SEAFOOD
 And it was amazing.



 So where am I now?

Hoping for an endless summer....

No comments:

Post a Comment